Monday, November 09, 2009

Are you talking to me?

A guest post by HSM

Friday night at the table, my son was talking about Avraham and how he was commanded by God to sacrifice his son Yitzchak. My son said ‘if that were me, I would say, Dad, you hearing voices again? They told you to do what? You seriously need professional help.”

While we all laughed and I shared the story with friends because it is funny and cute – how did the people back then believe that these leaders / prophets were communicating with God and not just hearing voices?

If Avraham were alive today – would he be incarcerated in a mental institution for having delusions, and medicated for schizophrenia, locked up for attempted murder? What about the other prophets? Moshe talked to a burning bush – in this day and age we wouldn’t look at these events in the same way as they did.

What changed? How could we trust that nevuah (prophecy), and not trust someone who today says they spoke with God?

Search for more information about delusions at 4torah.com.


Follow me on Twitter

No comments: